RE: Use of weathering steel

Title: RE: Use of weathering steel

>The worst application of weathered steel (Corten, I think) is the Chicago
>City Hall, built about 20yrs. ago. It has badly stained the sidewalk all
>around the site.

Huh? I walk past it every day and haven't noticed any staining on the sidewalks. Maybe you meant back when it was first built.

Regardless, there are definite detailing issues surrounding the use of weathering steel to avoid staining. However, these issues are well known and can be readily addressed. Bethlehem Steel has a pretty complete run-down of information on this and other stuff on weathering steel here:

    http://www.bethsteel.com/divisions/burns/bhwsweath.html

Charlie