Re: Railroad loading reference

The 1996 AREA Manual for Railway Engineering, Volume 2, Structures,  has a section for unloading pits (Section 8.4, pg 15-8-17 to 15-8-26).  They have some suggested designs, but recommend a structural design for the actual conditions.  The suggested designs show supporting beams, wall thickness, slab thickness and reinforcing for various wall heights (up to 10 ft) and beam spans (up to 15 ft).

>>> Mark.A.Jones(--nospam--at)jacobs.com 07/27/00 09:28AM >>>

Project: Unloading pit/tunnel under a railroad car.  The RR will cross about
10 feet of the pit.

I'm thinking to design this as a one-way slab but I need a reference for RR
the AASHTO specification for highway bridges but haven't found a reference
for railway bridges.  Anyone know a good reference? Does AREA have a
website?

Related Question:  I was thinking of designing the pit wall like a retaining
wall with a large overpressure.  Any comments?

TIA,
Mark Jones