Re: Railroad loading reference

I apologize if this is a waste of bandwidth.  I passed this on to a coworker and this was his response:

Mr. Jones-

Railroad loadings are SIGNIFICANTLY larger than highway loadings.  The allowable stresses are also reduced even further from AISC then AASHTO.  You need to acquire a copy of the AREMA (American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-way Association) "Manual for Railway Engineering".  Specifically, Volume 2 covers structures.

Keep in mind that if the railroad is to review your design, they will not budge from the AREMA code requirements.  In some cases, the individual railroads are more conservative!

AREMA website is:  www.arema.org

Good Luck,

R. Shane Mann, P.E.
Project Design Engineer
Ralph Whitehead Associates, Inc.
553 Southlake Boulevard, Ste. A
Richmond, VA 23236
(804) 794-1185
(804) 378-0923 FAX
http://www.rwhitehead.com

>>> "Jones, Mark A (Battle Creek)" <Mark.A.Jones(--nospam--at)jacobs.com> 07/27 10:28 AM >>>

Project: Unloading pit/tunnel under a railroad car.  The RR will cross about
10 feet of the pit.

I'm thinking to design this as a one-way slab but I need a reference for RR
the AASHTO specification for highway bridges but haven't found a reference
for railway bridges.  Anyone know a good reference? Does AREA have a
website?

Related Question:  I was thinking of designing the pit wall like a retaining
wall with a large overpressure.  Any comments?

TIA,
Mark Jones