Re: Release of Calcs.

I supply my calculations all the time.   Most of our clients are larger telecom companies and they consider my calculations part of my submittal.  Some times they are sent out for peer review.  Most of the time its kept for record reasons.

>>> n.roselund(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net 07/27/00 09:06AM >>>
A client has asked for a copy of my structural calculations.  I never give
my calculations to anyone except the Building Department, as required by
law.

I have had clients to whom I have delivered my calcs and drawings so that
the client could file them with an application for a Building Permit, and
I'm sure some of them have made copies of the calcs while they were in their
hands -- I haven't made a fuss about that since I really don't know.
However, if I explicitly give my calcs to someone, it implies that I think
they have a use for them.

No one has a use for my calcs but me -- they are a partial record, for my
use, of my design and decision making process; they are in shorthand and not
a complete record of my decision making process.  They are not necessarily
precise, or even accurate -- depending on what I feel is called for on a
particular matter.  The calcs are not edited for clarity to be clearly
understood by others.  They are certain to be misinterpreted, and are
subject to misuse.

My client says that he has never had an engineer refuse to give him the
calculations for a project.

What do you think?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer