Re: Release of Calcs.

As a consulting engineer, I've often been required to include
calculations as part of my deliverables.  From their point of view, IF
they have have a engineer qualified to review the work, it is certainly
in their best interest, if not their obligation, to review my work.
However, a lot of what I do is not "off the shelf" work, requires a fair
bit of specialized knowledge, and doesn't routinely occur at a given
facility.  The only "normal" bit of engineering I do on a regular basis
that requires me to turn over calculations are API and ASME tanks and
pressure vessel calculations, and they MUST be turned over to the
client.

I'm not quite sure what your concern is, unless they have qualified
structural engineers on staff and hired you one time to learn/steal
something from you.  Honestly, if I was the client, I would be surprised
and hesitant if an engineer refused to show the work used to develop
drawings or other final work product.

Bart Kemper, P.E.