Re: Release of Calcs.

I don't know what it is like in the mid-west but I see a big reject stamp on my calcs from the building Department here in Portland.

>>> jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com 07/27/00 03:23PM >>>
Nels has brought up an excellent point that I think requires some
consideration. Let's face it, none of us do "complete calculations",
since experience has taught us in some instances what works and what
doesn't. Additionally, the information, that is available after the
construction is complete, may not have been available while we were
designing.

With that in mind, I have put together a short disclaimer, using many of
the excellent points that Nels made, for inclusion in calculations that
are required to be given to Owners or others.

Here it is.......

These calculations are a partial record of the design and decision
making process. These calculations are a brief shorthand methodology by
the designer and it is likely that it is not totally complete in scope
or detail.

These calculations and methods may not be necessarily precise, or even
accurate in all circumstances-- depending on how gross or refined, the
Engineer felt, the analysis needed to be for the particular situation.
These calculations have not been edited for clarity and therefore may be
easily misunderstood and misused by others.

Some of the information in these calculations may no longer be valid,
since it is not uncommon to substitute materials, modify construction,
change or add loads and modify the intended use of all or portions of
buildings.

Much additional information, furnished by others, in both verbal and
written form, is not included in these calculations. This information
has been used the selection and evaluation of various components of this
construction. Some of this information may include soils information,
equipment sizes and loads, architectural requirements, building code
requirements, owner's needs, constructibility, engineered products, etc.
Additional information may have come to light only during construction.
Without this additional information plus all of the as built
information, the use of these calculations, by other than the original
Engineer of Record, is not recommended for evaluating various building
components or the structure.

What do you think? Is this going overboard or would anyone even notice?

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.