RE: Release of Calcs.

Bill Cain wrote:

>>An easier solution might just be to copyright the calculations, "All rights
reserved" and identify them as instruments of service to be used only in
conjunction with the current project to theoretically (they probably will
use them anyway) prevent the client from further use of the calculations.<<

I have the copyright symbol printed at the top of my calc sheets, right by
where the date goes.

But don't try to register the copyright with the copyright office!  I once
tried to register the calcs and the drawings for a job.  I had no problem
registering the drawings, but they wouldn't register "something that was just
a bunch of numbers," and suggested that I register it as a "derivative work"
of the drawings.  I didn't want to press the point and explain that the
drawings were derivative from the calculations, and besides, the drawings
were registered.  (I didn't want to wake them up to the fact that the calcs
came first, then the drawings.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona