FW: Release of Calcs.

> Nels,
>
> We do a lot of work for governmental clients, who always demand the
> calcs.  The calcs are usually required in a particular format, with
> table of contents, objective, etc.  Sort of like starting a report.
> They always require them to be clearly referenced so others can follow
> what I did.  The drawings are the main product, and I don't know if
> the clients ever really look much at the calcs.
>
> Even when we are not required to turn in the calcs we try to keep them
> together in a pretty good format , just because its company policy.
> We have had folks start to work here, and not understand why we keep
> our calcs so neat and orderly.  All the engineers do the calcs however
> they want, but we're able to go behind them and follow what they did.
> We also check all of the calcs (independent checker) whether they go
> out as a deliverable or not.

It helps to know up front if the calcs are going to be a deliverable,
but I would not hesitate to show our calcs for any project.  It sounds
like you might do your calcs a little differently (which is neither good
nor bad).  I know some other guys who get away with almost no calcs.
Its just whatever you're comfortable with.

Mike Ritter, PE