HELP: Guide to Learning UBC

greetings:

i have concluded/decided that i need to learn UBC. having ambitiously bought
the 1997 UBC, i have found that by itself it is a very challenging
(practicing on the middle coast, its pretty much boca here).

with the codes was a postcard advertising a couple of other books: 'handbook
to the UBC,' 'UBC code applications manual,' and the 'plan review manual.'
of the three, the handbook looks most promising. could someone comment on
these texts, and/or refer me to any other references.

tia

dennis pantazis, pe