From: SDGSE(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:SDGSE(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 11:10 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: SDM Vol 2

In a message dated 7/27/00 10:02:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time, SThompsonB
writes:

<< Oshin:

 What happened was the "Exception" in 1994 UBC(Section 2311.1) somehow got
omitted and nobody knows why (SEAOC, ICBO and NDS).  Since the SDM is a
"litteral" application of the code, the book calls for the galvanized bolts
and nails.

 Doug Thompson >>

Thanks Doug.

Now, what do we do? Do we specify galvanized bolts and nails and risk
getting
hit by a 2x4 on the job site, which we almost are for other code
ambiguities,
or ignore the code and give ammunition to a future expert witness? you're
damned if you do and damned if you don't.

What do SEAOC, ICBO and NDS plan to do? Any remedies in the works?

Regards,

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Los Angeles, CA