J series joists

Scott,

In a 1973 Armco catalog it lists the panel point spacing for J-series joists
at 24 inches, regardless of depth.  I would imagine that the spacing
would/could vary with manufacturer.  Even with a 12 inch depth, you are not
going to get anything very big thru these web openings as at mid depth the
horizontal clear opening is somewhat less than 12-inches for the Armco joists.

If the ME runs the ducts thru the web (and doesn't use flex ducts), he had
better not show face on the site when the mechanical contractor is present
<G>.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Scott Maxwell wrote:

>>Can any one provide me with web member spacing for J series joists (i.e.
panel point distances)?  I have some existing J series joist (8" and 12"
deep) that are in a building with a 11'-3" floor to floor height and a
desired ceiling height of 9'-0" in a space to be renovated.  Obviously,
the mechanical engineer is having a hell of a time routing some duct work
throught this area.  He is going to try running it through the
joists...thus, I need to know size of the web "openings" so that he can
determine the size of duct that he can fit.<<