Re: Release of Calcs.

Have the rules changed while I was busy trying to make a living???

The typical licensing law once was specific.  The calculations belong(ed)
to the engineer.  The work product was the drawings, specifications, and
other agreed-upon documents.  If the owner wanted copies of the
calculations, that was to be part of the the agreement.

In the real world, again in my experience, industrial clients often want
copies of calculation for reference for future modifications to the
structure.  I have no problem with that, since most industrial projects are
one-of-a-kind.

Once (that I know of) an architect, that I had previously worked for, took
a copy of my design and adapted it for a similar structure.  Then, when
there was a problem, he tried to hang me with the blame.  He had the
calculations for the first job (After all, I worked in his office).
Fortunately, the dates on the drawings didn't agree with the time I was in
his office.  Needless to say, I am not infatuated with architects.

Of course, the "permitting" agency has (ever since I can remember) the
right to request calculations whenever they want.

Coming full-circle, have the rules changed?  Don't I still own my
calculations?  Don't I retain control over them?  Have we "lost the farm"
while we were trying to bring in a crop?

Talk to me, guys!

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561