From: Mark Baker
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 11:57 PM
Subject: Re: cable x-bracing

Unfortunately the deck extends to far out, the back span is not great enough, cantilevering it would likely qualify it as a balcony (60psf) etc.

I like cable but have opted to utilize 3/4" dia. rods. Shrinkage should be minimized by my decision to use Parallam lumber for all horizontal and vertical members within the assembly. My member forces are well below yield, it is not a primary resisting element for the residence itself so I've dealt with the perceived risk in my mind.

I discussed the issue at length with the owner today, allowed him to informatively choose his view over potential instabilities and have only to follow this conversation UP IN WRITING.

Mark