RE: Offshore Design

This is the trend of the future!  Whether you like it or not, some countries
will be doing engineering works for any project here in the U.S.  Most of
the reactions I read so far are hostile.  That is understandable.  That was
the same reactions against giving Civil rights to minorities before. Slowly
but surely we are gearing up into a global community. With the introduction
of IBC 2000 code, some countries might end up using it.  They may be able to
design the same way as U.S. engineers do. The IBC 2000 will be the great
equalizer.

Almost fifteen years ago, I had worked in a major U.S. Engineering branch
office in the Philippines. At that time, they have major projects in the
Middle East and do the design engineering in the Philippines.  What I am
trying to point out here is that only major companies can do the outsourcing
of engineering work before in order to be more competitive. Now, even small
companies can do that with the aid of the internet.  The internet is the
great equalizer.

For those who are against outsourcing the work overseas, wake up!  We are
now in the year 2000. This is the beginning towards global community where
no boundaries exist. Don't be an isolationist. Don't worry about somebody
overseas taking your job because they are not licensed to do it. You can
make them as your tools.  Instead of you doing the calculations or waiting
your CAD draftsman to be free why not outsource them overseas.

Engr. Alfonso S. Quilala Jr., P.E.