RE: Collectors & Drag Struts

--- Begin Message ---
In a message dated 7/28/2000 2:30:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bryson(--nospam--at)civil.ubc.ca writes:

<< Are collectors and drag struts exactly synonymous? Can you have a
 situation where you are designing a diaphragm that neglects or does not
 include them?

The criteria that I use for determining whether a collector (drag strut) is
needed, is to calculate the capacity of the diaphragm and its shear transfer
capacity along the length of the shear wall. If the diaphragms capacity for
that length is less that the design force of the wall, I would design a
collector to deliver the remaining load to the wall.

If the diaphragm capacity (for the length of the wall) meets or exceed the
design force of the wall, no collectors needed.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA

--- End Message ---