Re: Offshore Design

I don't believe there is much to worry about. For most projects the
majority of engineering work has to be done locally. Fitting the project
to the local site, to local utilities and codes, coordinating the design
with the geotech, mech., electrical, and architect, and performing
structural observation all are most easily done locally. Only the grunt
work which most of us don't like to do much of anyway can be done in some
isolated area of the world. This is similar to hiring a New York
architect for a California project- a local professional has to be hired
to do about half of the work.
I am involved in doing things all over the world (schools in Papua New
Guinea and Kenya) and have to get locals to do much of the work for me.
An architect friend is designing homes in China. The locals wanted more
exciting elevations.

Stan Scholl, P. E.
Laguna Beach, CA
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!