RE: Release of Calcs.

Dan,

You wrote,

>>Last month I discovered that a contractor had crossed out the project title
on my calculations for a temporary bridge, added a new project title and
moved the bridge to a new site.  The work was done based on sketches in the
calculations.  The sites/conditions were very different.  When I invoiced
the contractor for my work with an allowance for work performed for the
previous site he responded, "that's unethical".

Dan Devlin<<

What if you responded (thru your lawyer), "that's copyright infringement!"

>From what I understand, copyright infringement is hard (and expensive) to
defend and since the actual structure can now be considered as a "creative
work," i.e., copyrightable, it might get the contractor to do a little
thinking and arithmetic.  (IIRC, an architect designed a very distinctive
residence for a client, a one-of-a-kind design.  A person a couple of blocks
away liked the design so much, he/she hired another architect to design a
residence of the same appearance, which was ultimately constructed.  The
original architect sued for copyright infringement and won even though the
second architect drew all the plans from scratch.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona