Re: Collectors & Drag Struts

Michael,

I don't believe I've seen 'drag strut' used in a formal discussion or in a
Building Code.  'Collector' is the more formal term.  Like Mark, I use the
terms 'collector' and 'drag strut' interchangeably.

They are used to collect shear forces that are distributed to a diaphragm
edge into tension or compression forces that they deliver to shear walls or
other bracing elements.  An edge of a rectangular diaphragm that is
uniformly braced along its edge does not need a drag strut; if the bracing
elements are concentrated at discrete locations, such at a shear wall at one
end, or at a short length in the middle of a long edge, a drag strut is
needed.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer