Re: Release of Calcs.

"Use at your own risk" gives blanket permission for someone to use your calcs
for anything.  Does it protect you?  IMO, No!  If you made a serious error in
the calcs and it didn't show up until the 4th or 5th reuse, I think that you
would still be held responsible.

If you don't want your calcs reused, say so clearly:  "These calculations
were prepared for the specific project, location, and code requirements of
the time and are NOT to be used for any other project, location or code
requirements without specific written authorization of the Engineer."

One problem that I have frequently seen on calculations is lack of
identification of the project, i.e., "Industrial Building for XYZ Client."
No address, city, state, etc.  Now, *that* would be hard to restrict use of.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jim Kestner wrote:

>>Roger:

I am not explicitly giving them authorization. I am simply trying to
avoid the potential liability derived by their misinterpretation or
misuse of my calculations.

Even if they use my calculations, do I care? I suppose if they cut off
the title block and submit them as their own on another project, that
might get me upset. Is the legal remedy here to sue him? For what?
Copyright infringement?

The more normal case might be an engineer (or architect) using my calcs
as a reference on say a building addition to my original project. What
if they misinterpret what was on my calcs? I don't want that to come
back and haunt me.

If I say that using my calcs is at their own risk, doesn't that protect
me?

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.<<