Re: Offshore Design

Well said, Brian.  This is a basic principle from Elementary Economics
Class.  "Don't pay any more than you have to for anything"?

A perfect example is the efficiency we gain from using computers.

Thirty years ago, computer time was typically invoiced as a separate
line-item, because it was so expensive.  I remember approving a $20,000
expenditure for a single computer run (a year's salary for all but the most
senior engineers on the project).  With P.C.'s, that practice stopped in a
hurry, because someone offered his services "better, cheaper, faster".

Do you know anyone who bills for computer time any more?  A computer is
simply a cost of doing business.

With the apparent mind-set on this list, we seem to be headed the same
direction with Offshore Design.

"Beam me up, Scotty.  There are no intelligent engineers in this country."

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

> From: Brian K. Smith <smithegr(--nospam--at)bellsouth.net>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: RE: Offshore Design
> Date: Monday, July 31, 2000 10:44 AM

What will happen is that we will see someone cutting