Re: Offshore Design

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian K. Smith" <smithegr(--nospam--at)bellsouth.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2000 8:44 AM
Subject: RE: Offshore Design

> Well great.  Now to the real point.  What is the biggest problem we have
> with non-registrants doing engineering work in this country?  Besides
being
> against the law and them not competent.  They take our work (and money)
for
> one, they undercut our fees, and they lower the standard our clients
expect.
> Why should they pay me $100 for a job when Bubba can get me a permit for
> $20.  Now we are going to sub our design work to a guy that doesn't even
> make the equivalent of minimum wage in this country.  Is that so we can
make
> more money?  No!!  What will happen is that we will see someone cutting
> their fees to get the job by using out of the country "labor."  If this
> happens too much, we will all have to cut our fees in order to eat.  Then
we
> will be working for minimum wage.
>
> Brian K. Smith, P.E.
> Louisiana

Brian,

I have no desire to be argumentative or combative, but you are mixing your
issues.

The idea was outsourcing work under the control of a duly registered
engineer in this country, not allowing any unregistered individual to
compete for engineering work.  I am not saying I agree with the approach or
completely understand the logistics of such an arrangement.

US firms compete for overseas work all the time.  European firms compete for
overseas work all the time.  Asian firms compete for overseas work all the
time.  This is global competition.  The original posting did not indicate
that outsourcing would enable undercutting fees but increasing profit.

The idea that an engineer is incompetent simply because he is not licensed
in the US is ludicrous.  Many of the brightest and most innovative engineers
in history did not have US registration.  If an individual moved to the US
and became an employee of a US firm while waiting to achieve US
registration, did he arrive incompetent?

Hypothetically, as a Louisiana engineer, if you set up an offshore office in
the Caribbean with a staff of non-US licensed engineers and a partner or
yourself on site and in charge, you could have a highly competitive (i.e.
profitable) firm.  Would you automatically cut your fees?  You would still
have total control over the quality of your work product.  The fact that
your employees are not licensed here is no different than a US based firm
with junior engineers working under a project manager.

Provided as food for thought.

Paul Feather
San Diego, California, USA