Re: Offshore Design

Fountain Conner wrote:

> Do you know anyone who bills for computer time any more?  A computer is
> simply a cost of doing business.

Actually, I charge for computer time as needed, when an FEA or CFD run takes up
hours and hours of PC time.  I don't do it for every job, just when its a large
project and its warranted.  My computer billing rate is 1/2 my normal hourly
rate, reflecting I can still do work (perhaps not on that particular project),
but an important work asset is tied up and dedicated to a given project.

I also believe the reason no one charges for routine computer use is exactly
because its become industry standard and part of the normal overhead.  The
client knows they are paying for the computer systems and programs as well as
the engineer's time.  "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."  As an
industry, we made the computers part of the overhead and worked into our fees.
The client still pays for it.  I'm not clear, however, how that bears on having
personnel not certified by your state or even subject to review or US law
performing professional engineering by proxy in the U.S. without the informed
consent of the client.

Bart Kemper, P.E.