Re: Collectors & Drag Struts

Michael,

The top plate of a shear wall, or the top beam of a frame could be included
as a part of a drag strut assembly.  I've done that regularly.  However, if
the diaphragm that is being braced extends beyond the ends of the frame or
shear wall, the drag strut assembly needs to be extended also, with the
connections of the components of the assembly design appropriately for the
forces they resist.

I would apply the omega factor to the force in the drag strut, but not to
the diaphragm connections to the drag strut.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer