Re: Offshore Design

> From: "Fountain Conner" <fconner(--nospam--at)pcola.gulf.net>

> I can't help but notice all the people in other countries who are willing
> to take my design work (read livelihood).  I have never been contacted by
> anyone from another country wanting to give me design work.
>
> I've noticed also the countries willing to take industry from this country
> (NAFTA, Mainland China, etc.).  I don't see too many countries exporting
> their industry to this country.

You are pointing the stick in the wrong direction. Cheap labour is like
a drug to commerce. It wouldn't sell if the customer wasn't buying. Make
no mistake, engineering is just a commodity to industry; an interpreter
of legal and scientific requirements; an input in the production
equation; a cost item on the bottom line.

Any qualified engineer can do the same work as an engineer working near
the site, given all the correct information. As engineers we frequently
rely on reports by technicians or consultants in order to do our work
completely. As communication media improved, it became practical to do
work in the next county/state/country without leaving our own offices.

The current situation, which you perceive as hordes of foreign engineers
banging on the gate, is/was the same picture that is seen in other
countries. The work IS flowing in both directions. If you have not been
asked to do work in another country, it is likely that you have not been
seeking it.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International