Re: Collectors & Drag Struts

Michael,

The top plate of a shear wall, or the top beam of a frame could be included
as a part of a drag strut assembly.  I think that's done regularly.
However, if the diaphragm that is being braced extends beyond the ends of
the frame or shear wall, the drag strut assembly, as an extension of the top
chord or the top beam, needs to be extended also, with the connections of
the components of the assembly designed appropriately for the forces they
resist.

I would assign the same value of omega to the design of the drag strut as to
the frame or shear wall -- I would not use omega for the design of the
connections of the diaphragm to the drag strut.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer