Re: Open Web/LH Steel Joist Splices

I have frequently had various situations that required splices. Here are
3 examples that I can think of:

Joists  110' long for a Natatorium that required hot dipped galvanizing.
Two splices were required for dipping.

Joists 186' in length for a Field House. Two splices were required for
shipping.

40 foot joists were required to be installed inside an existing
building, where the roof needed to be reinforcement for additional
drifted snow loading. One splice was required for ease of erection.

Simply spec that the joist manufacturer design the splice. I believe
they do this all the time.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.