RE: Open Web/LH Steel Joist Splices

I have on a few occasions.  I do not remember specifying them any
differently if they were just very long joists because some fabricators can
fabricate and ship longer spans than others. I have specified that they be
spliced when I had to insert them into pockets with existing walls at each
end of the joists.  I did not try to tell them how to design the splices.
Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc
205 N. Dewey Street
Eau Claire, WI 54703