Open Web/LH Steel Joist Splices

Charlie,

Like any other member, the location of the splice is critical.  When I was in
school, I had it drilled into me that members, unless absolutely necessary,
should NOT be spliced at maximum moment, shear, etc.  I would have a
hemorrhage if I saw bar joists come to the site to be spliced at the center
of the span.

For flexure, I would not want the splice to be located closer to the center
of the span than the 1/4 point, and even there, the moment due to uniform
load is still 75 percent of maximum.  At the 1/3 point the moment jumps to 97
percent of maximum.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Charlie Canitz wrote:

>>Regarding K and LH steel joists, has anyone been involved in a project where
site access constraints required that the joists be fabricated/shipped in
sections and erected with splice joints at the site? I know this is a
frequent occurrence with steel beams, girders and trusses but have never
seen a SJI specified joist fabricated and installed as such.<<