Re: Open Web/LH Steel Joist Splices

Roger Turk wrote:

> Like any other member, the location of the splice is critical.  When I was in
> school, I had it drilled into me that members, unless absolutely necessary,
> should NOT be spliced at maximum moment, shear, etc.  I would have a
> hemorrhage if I saw bar joists come to the site to be spliced at the center
> of the span.

You know, I also had this drilling, but over the years it has come to mean less
and less to me. After all, so long as the connection is designed and detailed
correctly and effectively, it should not matter where it occurs. As you say "75
percent of load" is still a good bit of load.

The REAL decision should rest on ECONOMICS rather than structural reliability.
After all, it should NOT matter how much force the connection is designed for;
with our modern design procedures (yes, Fountain, I mean LRFD!), the reliability
is nominally the same.

But if we have an opportunity to design a splice connection that is less
expensive to fabricate and make, then we should do so. But location in a zone of
high moment or shear shouldn't be an absolute constraint if it would be
practical otherwise.