Re: Offshore Design

Most product and service companies out-source. And it has always been
considered correct as long as the company putting its brand on the end
product ensures quality.  Whats so different about engineering?

As I see it, there are two issues here.
One is about money being taken out of US citizens and given to
outsiders.  The answer to this one is simple:
Americans are better than us at food and entertainment business. So we
eat at there Pizza Huts(most popular restaurant here), drink Pepsi(80%
of our cola market) and watch Titanic (braking all viewership records).
We are better at engineering design and writing software, so the
Americans buy it from us.

The other issue is direct responsibility:
My last boss used to sign drawings after first glance through them. He
was the only licensed engineer in the company and his only other
contribution was dealing with the clients. But, this was supposed to be
his direct supervision, since we were working in his office instead of
remote and getting salaries instead of payment on job basis.

S A Masroor
Karachi, Pakistan