Re: Open Web/LH Steel Joist Splices

Bill Polhemus wrote:

>>Roger Turk wrote:
>
> Like any other member, the location of the splice is critical.  When I was
in
> school, I had it drilled into me that members, unless absolutely necessary,
> should NOT be spliced at maximum moment, shear, etc.  I would have a
> hemorrhage if I saw bar joists come to the site to be spliced at the center
> of the span.

You know, I also had this drilling, but over the years it has come to mean
less
and less to me. After all, so long as the connection is designed and detailed
correctly and effectively, it should not matter where it occurs. As you say
"75
percent of load" is still a good bit of load.

The REAL decision should rest on ECONOMICS rather than structural reliability.
After all, it should NOT matter how much force the connection is designed for;
with our modern design procedures (yes, Fountain, I mean LRFD!), the
reliability
is nominally the same.<<

... and because we know so much more than those old f**ts, we can cut the
factor of safety, ... and cut the factor of safety, ... and cut the factor of
safety, ... and OOPS!, maybe we don't know so much after all!

It happens time and again, and tends to repeat itself every 30 to 35 years.

Any time an engineer places "ECONOMICS" before "SAFETY," he/she is abrogating
his/her prime responsibility to protect the health, safety, and welfare of
the public.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona