Re: Open Web/LH Steel Joist Splices

Roger Turk wrote:

> ... and because we know so much more than those old f**ts, we can cut the
> factor of safety, ... and cut the factor of safety, ... and cut the factor of
> safety, ... and OOPS!, maybe we don't know so much after all!
>
> It happens time and again, and tends to repeat itself every 30 to 35 years.

Roger, please note that I am not advocating "cutting the factor of safety",
unless you're proposing that, for example, a splice such as the one we've been
discussing, located at a point of 75% of the maximum moment in the member, be
designed for 100%. In which case you are ADDING a factor of safety beyond that
which the design codes call for. That's your privilege if you are the engineer
of record, but most of your colleagues aren't going to do that. And why? For
reasons of economy.

Also, I don't agree that "disaster" repeats itself every 30 to 35 years, unless
you want to give me a list of famous disasters of this type that occurred for
reasons such as you describe. Most all the ones I know of happened because
someone didn't do something the way he was supposed to.

> Any time an engineer places "ECONOMICS" before "SAFETY," he/she is abrogating
> his/her prime responsibility to protect the health, safety, and welfare of
> the public.

You may want to reread what I have written. Please note that I was actually
saying that ECONOMICS would dictate that you put such a splice connection in a
location OTHER than the point of maximum moment or shear!