WELDING: Unclear about Qf and U in AWS D1.1-96 Section 2.40.2

One problem I'm having is with the sort of hodge-podge of LRFD and ASD
terminology that AWS D1.1 is using. I'm wondering if D1.1-99 may have cleared
some of it up.

Can anyone here give me the benefit of their understanding as to how Qf and U
(found in 2.40.2.1, on page 36) might be defined?