Re: Open Web/LH Steel Joist Splices

>Also, I don't agree that "disaster" repeats itself every 30 to 35 years,
>unless
>you want to give me a list of famous disasters of this type that occurred for
>reasons such as you describe. Most all the ones I know of happened because
>someone didn't do something the way he was supposed to.
Henry Petroski's book, 'Design Paradigms,' has an interesting discussion
on a 20 year cycle of bridge failures. He has data on it, too. He figures
the cycle is timed to the peak years of the career of innovative masters
like Roebling. An idea is refined and the envelope pushed by the master
until he dies or retires. Further pushing occurs in circumstances were
the technology is taken as proved until encountering an area where the
original work is deficient and there's an accident--maybe a series of
accidents. The problem is investigated thoroughly and other masters with
other methodology take over and the cycle renews.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw