Re: The Engineering Paradigm (WAS Re: Open Web/LH Steel Joist S

>So, in summary, I'd say that the work you cite might serve very well to
>tell us how things used to be done, but not as a harbinger of the future.
I probably didn't express myself very well. The basis of Petroski's work
is ongoing. In engineering a new idea gets pushed 'til there are
failures. The 'master' was a poor choice of terms. I really meant the
term 'master' to refer to either an individual or organization (usually
organizations don't innovate, but it could happen) who reduced some
innovation to practice, usually with a lot of study and testing. The
innovation matures gets developed and is considered standard practice.
Since we don't study our successes, each time we successfully push the
envelope we get closer the point where the original work was deficient in
some way and things don't work like thay did. Petroski's hypothesis with
bridges seems fairly accurate as such predictions go. as I recollect he's
picked cable stayed bridges as the next technology that's being pushed
toward the edge.

Actually your mention of the Challenger is a perfect example of envelope
pushing and unexamioned successes which eventually led to tragedy. It
wouldn't surprise me to see something similar happen with finite element
applications. Maybe even LRFD.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw