Re: The Engineering Paradigm (WAS Re: Op

Let me pitch one out that might chill the marrow of your bones.

Has anyone considered that there *may have been* a certain person on that
Concorde.  That was a flight restricted to the *wealthy*.  Large money is a
large temptation.  I have come to recognize in the past year-or-so that the
*very wealthy*, and unprincipled tend to make up the rules as they go
along.

'Not necessarily an engineering solution, but it parallels the
international economics of exporting engineering and industry.  If you want
to really know what's going on, there are two areas to consider:  (1)
Follow the money, and (2) Keep an eye on what's happening in, around, and
to Israel.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

----------
> From: frp 2000 <frp2000(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Re: The Engineering Paradigm (WAS Re: Op
> Date: Sunday, August 06, 2000 5:12 PM
>
> Well,
>
> Now we can also include the Concorde mishap.....
>
> Are the planes getting old and rusty.....was there faulty
> maintenance.....did the British, who can't seem to design a pedestrian
> bridge correctly,  prevent such an accident by removing the wheel
> flaps....???? plus sticky rods on Alaska Airl. jets....should these
planes
> perhaps have been designed in Pakistan  .... ???
>
> jim

ECONOMICS
> > >and
> > >PUBLIC RELATIONS ahead of SAFETY.
> > That was only one of the causes. Like the Titanic sinking there were
> > several 'but-fors.' The design itself was tricky. I'd worked with an 8
> > foot diameter test tank which had a clevis type joint and O-ring, and
it
> > was always a flaming bitch to assemble. When I saw a diagram of the
joint
> > a day or two after the disaster, I was about 99% certain that it was a
> > seal problem like we'd had with the Perry test tank.
> >
> > One or the other of the Feynman books ('What Do you Care What Other
> > People Think?' or 'Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman,') has a couple of
> > chapters on the Challenger explosion. They'd had problems during design
> > and test and in previous launches, but didn't do much about the design.
> > Joint assembly was also tricky which led to difficulty with mating the
> > seal and the sealing surfaces. Feynman was widely credited with
> > discovering the seal problem with his video demonstration, but he seems
> > to say that he was put onto the idea from an Air Force officer on the
> > committee. Feynman has a detailed discussion of all the statistical arm
> > waving that NASA used to convince itself of reliability, in which they
> > progressively lowered the bar on thermal requirements. The last straw
was
> > apparently pressure from the supreme NASA PhB to get Christa McAuliffe
> > into space because she was scheduled to talk to Reagan that day.
Between
> > the design, the failure to deal with problems uncovered testing,
foolish
> > interpretation of cooked-up reliability statistics and management and
> > political pressure, you can pick any or all as causes.
> >
> > In philosophical terms, that's and interesting thing about disasters of
> > all sorts--from the Johnstown flood to the TMI accident sinking to
Pearl