Underground Structures

Harold Sprague and James Lutz :
Thanks for your response which was very helpful.
Regarding the question as to the nature of structure.......following is a
brief description for information.
It involves a hemisphere dome 100' diameter on top of concrete walls
which are 50' high.  The top of the dome is located about 40' below
ground. Tthe dome is surrounded by a covered concentric gallery about
60' width.  Roof of gallery is about 125' below ground.  24 - 20' diameter
semicircular tunnels coming towards the dome meet and stop at  the
gallery in radial fashion.  All construction will be concrete. Other than
tunnels which will be drilled,  it will be open excavation construction.
For the conceptual design, I came up with 3' thick concrete with lots of
reinforcement for the hoop stress.  Walls are 3' thick. The gallery has
closely spaced 4'x4' columns with girders and beams (48"x60" or less)
and a 12" roof slab. The tunnels will be precast other than the bulkhead
entrance wall.
By the way the seismic zone is more like 2B and not 4 as I had given
before.

Thanks again for the response you gave.

Vinod Sahni, SE