Open Web/LH Steel Joist Splices

Charlie,

I was involved with a project where 100ft span LH steel joists were
involved.  The joists had a bolted splice at the center (I did not review the
shop drawings).  After roof installation, the inspector discovered that the
bottom chords sagged quite a bit.  It was obvious.  It appeared there was
no structural problem.
I believe the sag was due to the bolted splice.  A welded splice would
have been preferable.
The location receives quite a bit of snow (30PSF design).  There are no
reported problems for about 15 years.

Vinod Sahni, SE