Re: Design of Valley Beams

Let me get this straight.  The valley beams are *overstressed*; is that
correct?

Yes, your Honor.

And you say the system has stood the test of time "pretty well"?

Yes, your Honor.

And you say the building's structural system fits within the *narrow*
limits imposed by the Conventional Light-frame Construction Design
Provisions.  Is that correct?

Yes, your Honor.

So are you telling me that this "failed" structure complies with one
portion of the Code, and is clearly in violation of another portion ot the
Code?  Is that correct?

Yes, your Honor.

Well, as an engineer, are you not "charged" with designing to protect the
public safety?

Yes, your Honor.

And you *knowingly* released a design which, by your own admission, was
"overstressed"?

Yes, your Honor.

I sentence you to ten million years of correcting every Code in the world,
BY HAND, to prevent such a thing from happening again.

Yes, your Honor.

...I'd insert a smiley face here, but it's not funny.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561