Re: Design of Valley Beams

>If the valley is part of a conventional framed roof with a slope not less
>than 3:12, valleys (like hips and ridge boards) need not be designed,

Do you have a reference for this seed?  I have been tearing through the
light-frame conventional framing section of the UBC to no avail.  SBC,
Manual of Practice, publishes some analytical methods for deriving member
thrust and tension forces at the heel & ceiling joist of common rafters and
also for hip/valley reactions.

I have toyed with several models to consider clinched nailing designations
to meet these demands and note the marked increase in tension loads
reported by these modeling techniques for cj's raised above the top plate
for "coffered" ceiling arrangements.  Off-topic, but what about those
collar ties?  Not much benefit to servicing outward thrust at the heels
unless cj's are set below, then it seems the collar tie might just as well
be specified as a LSTA ridge tie since the all service tension would be
serviced by the cj's.  Please advise.

thx