Re: Design of Valley Beams -- Paul

Paul,

Chapter 23 of the UBC, Division IV is pretty terse on the matter of ridges,
hips and valleys.  It's design requirements related specifically to those
items (which are not called beams) are in Section 2320.12.3, which deals
only with the relative positions of rafters that frame into them and the
sizes of the members: not less than 2-inch nominal thickness and not less in
depth than the cut end of the rafter.  There are other requirements (rafter
ties, roof slope, weights, and so on) that prescribe and define the system,
but there is nothing to compute related to loads or stresses.

If we want to know more about the system, we're back to working with
statics.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer