Re: Steel Roof Decking

--- Chris Towne <ctowne(--nospam--at)chaptech.com> wrote:
> I specified a 16 gage roof deck for a job and the contractor says that he
> cannot get it.  He wants to know if he can use 2 layers of 18 gage deck?  I
> think this would be ok if the two layers were bonded together by welding or
> other acceptable means.  What do you think?
>
> Chris Towne
> Chapman Technical Group
> St. Albans, WV 25177

Check your calc's, make sure you need 16 GA. deck, then tell the contractor to
build according to the plans, using 16 ga deck.

Failing that, have him submit a proposal, complete with engineering, for your
review.  You've already done your design; don't do someone else's.

Keith Fix, PE (CA)
Little Rock, AR