RE: Masonry Cement

Masonry cement does not have as much flexural capacity as Portland cement
and lime mortars.  There is another product called mortar cement that has
some of the best characteristics of the other two.  As far as I know, there
are only two manufacturer's of mortar cement and I would check with your
code official to make sure it is acceptable.  I use to get requests on
almost every job for masonry cement and I have never allowed it as a
substitute for Portland cement and lime.  The strongest argument I ever
heard for its use is that the masons like it and therefore they are going to
do a  better job if they use it.

Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc
205 N. Dewey Street