RE: Masonry Cement

Domenic,

Reference: Masonry Construction, July, 1988, "Why Use Masonry Cements?" by
Al Isberner

Masonry cement manufacturers don't tell what ingredients are in their
products.  They usually contain portland cement, plasticizers, and
air-entraining additives.

The bonding ability of masonry cement mortars and all air-entrained mortars
is questionable. The group opposed to air-entraining agents say that the air
bubbles in the mortar interfere with bonding. The group favoring
air-entraining agents say that the agents increase workability (which
improves bond), water retention, and durability of mortars.

I would not use anything that doesn't reveal all of the constituents.  There
was a product used several years ago that was widely used, and was
proprietary.  It was called Sarabond.  The mortar using Sarabond would also
comply with ASTM C-270.  But Sarabond is no longer manufactured because it
resulted in millions in law suits due to corrosion.  It made many
consultants and lawyers rich.

Regards,
Harold Sprague