MORE on Angle Bending (WAS Re: Angle in Bending)

John Riley wrote:

> AISC 9th edition, pp 5-309 - 5-323
> "Specification for Allowable Stress Design of Single-Angle Members"

I have a further question on this score (although I am using AISC LRFD 2nd
Edition, so *nyah*).

Section 5.2. addresses "Bending about Geometric Axes", or those axes parallel to
the legs of the angle. Section 5.2.2. applies to "Equal-leg angle members
without lateral-torsional restraint subjected to flexure applied about >ONE< of
the geometric axes..."

Section 5.3. is for "Bending about Principal Axes" for those angles that don't
meet the narrower requirements of Section 5.2. It further states that "bending
about both of the principal axes shall be evaluated as required in Section 6."
(which is the section devoted to combined stresses).

My question is this: What if I have bending about BOTH geometric axes? Do I then
have to resolve the bending moments to the principal axes? In other words, is
Section 5.2.2. for angles with bending about ONLY one of the geometric axes?