Re: Soil Bearing Pressure

Old "Rule of Thumb":

The soil pressure that you can use has to be equal to or less than the weight
of the soil removed.  After all, wasn't the soil at that level supporting
the weight of the soil above it before you removed it?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Paul Reilly wrote:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=----===-=-
> Ref Table 18-I-A, Allowable Soil Bearing Pressure, footnote 2...
"increase
> of 20% per each foot of embedment into natural grade greater than 1
foot".
> Is this provision for soil bearing applicable to sub-structures and
> basement footings

Overburden and skin friction were considered as candidates for the
increase, however, I was almost resolved to attribute the allowable bearing
increase to the probability of reduced deliterious materials insitu.  Any
geotechs out there?