[no subject]

I am currently analyzing an existing balcony on an 80 year old building.
The balcony extends out from the building approx. 4'-0" as is comprised of
(what I believe to be) wrought iron tee sections extending from the
building.  The tees are propped by ornamental bars at the ends as such:

				    [ ]
BALCONY			    [ ]
		       TTTTTTTTTTTT[ ]
			\	    [ ]
			  \	    [ ]    BUILDING SIDE
			    \	    [ ]
			      \	    [ ]
			        \	    [ ]
			          \	    [ ]
				\   [ ]
				  \ [ ]
				    [ ]

There is some visible deterioration in the webs of the tees back at the
masonry where the tee is embedded into the building.  My question:  To
analyze the tee, can I assume the iron will act in a similar fashion to
steel for bending and shear and adjust for the material strength, or am I
misguided?

Any help would be appreciated.

JD

John T. Daley, P.E.