Re: Continuing Education

In South Carolina, we are in our second year of continuing education
requirements.  For the first year we were required to have 5 hours of PDH's.
This year we were required to have 10 PDH's.  Starting next year and for
each following year, we are required to have 15 PDH's.  SC's board has been
very good about what is allowed.  1 PDH is defined as one hour of contact
with an instructor or other acceptable training.  If you go to a seminar,
you are required to have some kind of a certificate saying that you
completed x hours of instruction.  If you look at a tape course, then there
must be a test required so that the group producing the tape can test to see
if you looked at the tape.  You can also get a couple of hours for regularly
attending organizational meetings (e.g., local ASCE meetings; I believe the
board requires the organization to keep a role, and I don't know how many
meetings you have to attend a year).  You can also get a couple of hours for
publishing a paper, or you can get hours for teaching.  You can carryover a
maximum of 15 hours to the next year.  Therefore you could take a college
course and get 15 hours for this year and carryover 15 hours for next year.
The board has left it up to the individual to decide what to take as long as
it is pertinent to your practice (i.e., a professional ethics class or a
class on how to run your business can qualify instead of an engineering
class).  It does not look like getting the 15 hours a year should be too
taxing to meet.  The board is allowing the individual keep his/her own
records.  On your registration form you check off the box indicating that
you have completed the continuing education requirement for next year and
sign the form.  The board is doing some spot checking of members, by asking
for copies of your records.  I have not heard how well the people poled have
meet the board's request for information.  Hope this helps answer your
question.