control joints in grouted cmu walls

what are the requirements for control joint spacing in a grouted cmu wall?  I
found general typical details in the Concrete Masonry Asociation handbook
(recommend approximately 50' - 60' spacing), but no reference in code.  What
are the issues with leaving the joints out all together? I have a single
story Zone 4 "L" shaped building, 50' and 60' long on the end walls,
longitudinal wall max length of 120', and 2 sections at the L side are 30'
and 90'.  What is a common joint filling material if block is left exposed to
view ? (Using split face block)
Thanks - Paul Franceschi, S.E.