ASTM A 108, Grade C 1010

Dave,

In your original message, you didn't say what the item is for which the
material was identified on the shop drawing as "C1010".  I doubt that the
fabricator was referring to ASTM C 1010, but it is quite possible that he
was referring to ASTM C 108, Grade C 1010.  ASTM A 108, "Standard
Specification for Steel Bars, Carbon, Cold Finished, Standard Quality."
ASTM A 108 is a material specification that is commonly used for many
miscellaneous steel products such as welded studs.  The material for these
products are often only commonly identified by the grade of the stock
material used to produce the product.  Grade C 1010 is so common, that
blacksmiths use it as stock material for much of their work, including
horseshoes.

FYI, here are the properties of ASTM A 108, Grade C 1010 material:

0.08-0.13% carbon
0.30-0.60% manganese
0.040% maximum phosphorus
0.050% maximum sulfur

Any required mechanical properties, such as yield strength, are a
supplemental requirement that would have to be specified by the purchaser.

Hope this helps,

James H. Stamper, PE (Jim)
Senior Structural Engineer
Heery International, Inc.
Atlanta, Georgia
(E-Mail:  jstamper(--nospam--at)heery.com)